Chapter 1 - Beginnings
John Wastell C
1677
There have been
Wastells in England since the Normal Conquest of 1066. John Wastell (c. 1460–c.
1518) was an English gothic architect and master mason responsible for the fan
vaulted ceiling and other features of King's College Chapel, Cambridge, the
crossing tower (Bell Harry Tower) of Canterbury Cathedral, and sections of both
Manchester and Peterborough cathedrals. He also worked on Bury St Edmunds
Abbey.
We know that a
Samuel Wastell of Spital Yard paid a Hearth tax in 1666. This address appears later in our story.
The first
historically documented evidence for our part of the Wastell family tree begins
in the late 17th Century when John Wastell married his wife Ann. John was a
Silk Weaver who enjoyed the privilege of Freedom of the City of London.
The Freedom of
the City of London originate from the medieval trade guilds which were
established to regulate particular crafts. Guilds supervised the training of
apprentices, controlled standards of craftsmanship, and protected craftsmen
from unfair competition. Those working in the same craft lived and work near
each other, grouping together to regulate competition within their trade and
maintain high standards.
Some guilds can
trace their origins back to the 12th century. The Wastells were members of the
Guild with the earliest charter still in existence, it being granted to the
Weavers' Company in 1155.
Livery companies
admitted new freemen by one of three methods: patrimony (through father or
mother), redemption (by paying a fine), or servitude, that is by serving an
apprenticeship. The Wastells were admitted by patrimony.
John’s status was
such that he paid a property tax. This was paid by the more prosperous sections
of society, from the wealthiest duke to the owners of business premises such as
tradesmen, shopkeepers and innkeepers. The tax was based upon the size of the
property. In 1721 John paid £2 5s.on his Residence at White Hart Court. Roughly
about £600.
John Wastell b.1702
John was born in
January 1702, being baptised at St. Botolphs, Aldgate on 31st January 1702.
William of Orange was still on the English Throne.
Much like
Shakespeare, the Wastells hadn’t decided on a consistent spelling of their
name.
St Botolph’s had
survived the Great Fire of London and was described at the beginning of the
18th century as, "an old church, built of Brick, Rubble and Stone,
rendered over, and ... of the Gothick order". The building, as it stood at
that time, was 78-foot long (24 m) and 53-foot wide (16 m). There was
a tower, about 100-foot tall (30 m), with six bells.
On 27 Dec 1729
John Wastell married Ann Mayhew in St. Botolph, Bishopgate.
Ann was born July
1711 in Stepney. Her Parents were Petrus (Peter) Mayhew and Charity Conyers.
Petrus and Charity had been married at St. Dunston’s Church, Stepney, 23 March
1700, but were living in the small hamlet of Bethnal Green.
Bethnal Green was
a centre of silk weaving. Weavers Field Park (created after the bombing of WW2)
is situated in the centre of Bethnal Green. Throughout his life Petrus is
described as a weaver. When he died in 1746, he was buried at the newly built
church of St. Matthew’s, Bethnal Green on 9th Sept. He is still described as a weaver.
John Wastell had
the following children
John was baptised
on 20 Aug 1732 in St. Dunston & all Saints Stepney.
Ann was baptised
on 28 Mar 1736. in St. Dunston & all Saints Stepney
Peter was
baptised on 13 Jul 1737 in St. Dunston & all Saints Stepney
William was
baptised on 10 Oct 1740 in St. Dunston & all Saints Stepney
Henry was
baptised on 9 Jan 1742 in St. Dunston & All Saints, Stepney
Charity was
baptised on 24 May 1747 in the newly opened St. Matthew’s, Bethnal Green
Deborah was
baptised on 6 Feb 1749 but died shortly afterwards
Deborah was
baptised on 09 Oct 1750 at St. Matthew’s, Bethnal Green.
It didn’t take
long for St. Matthews to gain a reputation. Soon after the church’s
consecration, Vestry records show that several hundreds of the local people were
holding their Sunday pastimes of bull-baiting and dog-fighting in the field
adjacent to the churchyard. There was particular outrage on the day the
terrified bull ran into church during the morning service. The church graveyard
also became a target for “Resurrectionists”. Local Medical schools at Guy’s and
the New London Hospitals were not overly-fussy where the bodies for their
research and teaching came from. In 1754 church had to build a “Watch House”
and employ a night watchman to protect the newly buried from the grave robbers.
All the baptismal
records indicate that John lived in Mile End New Town. It bordered with Bethnal
Green to the north, Whitechapel to the east and south, and Spitalfields to the
west. Old Montague Street formed much of the southern boundary and the western
boundary falling short of Spital Street. Mile End Old Town was located some
distance to the east, separated from Mile End New Town by the parish of
Whitechapel.
Through the
period John is described as a “weaver”.
When his son, William, received the freedom of the city of London, John
was a silk “Frame worker”








Comments
Post a Comment